CoolTerm is a freeware serial port terminal app and networking program, developed by Roger Meier for Windows. It's pretty easy-to-use.
The download has been tested by an editor here on a PC and a list of features has been compiled; see below. We've also created some screenshots of CoolTerm to illustrate the user interface and show the overall usage and features of this serial port terminal program.
Exchange text and other data between connected serial ports
CoolTerm was developed as a useful and user-friendly software and acts as a serial port terminal application.
CoolTerm is a tool that's geared towards hobbyists and professionals with a need to exchange data with hardware connected to serial ports such as servo controllers, robotic kits, GPS receivers, microcontrollers etc.
Features of CoolTerm
- Capability of loading and saving connection options.
- Capability of manually toggling RTS and DTR signals when hardware flow control is disabled.
- Capability of multiple concurrent connections if multiple serial ports are available.
- Capability of recording received data to text files.
- Display of received data in textual or hexadecimal format.
- Hardware (CTS, DTR) and software flow control (XON).
- Local echoing of received data (loop back to sender).
- Local echoing of transmitted data.
- Optical line status indicators.
- Sending data via keypresses as well as a "Send String" dialog that support data entry in textual or hexadecimal format.
- Sending data via pasting of text into the terminal window.
- Sending of text files
Compatibility and License
CoolTerm is provided under a freeware license on Windows from network software with no restrictions on usage. Download and installation of this PC software is free and 22.214.171.1240 is the latest version last time we checked.
What version of Windows can CoolTerm run on?
CoolTerm can be used on a computer running Windows 11 or Windows 10. Previous versions of the OS shouldn't be a problem with Windows 8 and Windows 7 having been tested. Windows XP is supported. It comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit downloads.